Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Big, bold art in West Palm Beach

A room/gallery space at Showtel in April at Hotel Biba


Last weekend, we went to see Trump in the Dark in Palm Beach. It was very cool and I am pleased that I was able to convince Adam to enter Palm Beach County after last time's Dark Incident (of which we do not speak).

We continue to be impressed by the art in PBC. Showtel at Hotel Biba last month was unlike any art show I've attended and Trump was equally engaging. Lots of performance art, huge installations, interactive pieces, the use of non-traditional exhibition spaces and video art. No boring paintings or pieces of string tacked to the wall with a $1500 price tag*.

*I realize that lots of "art" that doesn't look like art is actually very meaningful Art, but I still want to be entertained on a Saturday night.

A human fly at Showtel

Another fun thing about attending art openings and gallery shows in PBC, is that the scene is much more chill than in Miami. Because, despite enjoying Wynnwood art walks immensely, it can be an intense microcosm of cool. I'm constantly wondering if I should be wearing a romper.

Palm Beach is - shockingly - more laid-back. There are still hipsters, to be sure. But it's an "Urban Outfitters in East Lansing" level of Hipster, as opposed to the "American Apparel showroom in Brooklyn" magnitude of MiMo.

I did get an intense kick out of the band that played at Trump. They had something to do with zombies. Gold lame leggings. Star-shaped guitar. Lyrics about eating brains. Purposely ugly glasses. The irony was palpable. I haven't seen any other bands like this since moving to Florida.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for attending the exhibition! We will keep you posted our upcoming projects...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolyn. And thank you for sharing the link to my blog - how flattering!

    We're always interested in seeing what's new and different in South Florida, since we are pretty new ourselves.

    ReplyDelete